* Landscape Renovations
* Hardscaping-Walks, Patios, Walls, Steps
* Sprinklers and Drip Irrigation Systems
* Natural Stonework and Flagstone
* Brick Paver Installation
* Planting and Garden installation
* Design and Consulting
1. I’ve never hired a landscape company before; what kinds of things should I look for?
Several things, here are some to consider:
* Do I feel comfortable with and trust the owner/rep and has he/she adequately answered my questions?
* Is this company a good fit for my project? Do they have the experience and expertise that is required for a successful installation? Some companies may be too large or small for what you need.
* Warranty: does the company warranty its work and plantings?
Can I count on them to be available for follow up and warranty work if necessary?
* Pricing: does the company’s price seem reasonable? Am I getting an apples to apples comparison? Beware of bids that are significantly lower than a competitor’s. The lowest bid may not always be the best bid.
* Details of the job: has the company given specific installation details and specifications? Beware of very general info that lacks detail. This is where corners and costs can be cut and quality suffers!
* References: has the company provided a list of references that I can contact?
* Communication: will the contractor keep me appraised during the installation process?
2. How long have you been in business and how many jobs have you completed?
We have been in business since 2004 and have completed approximately 350 jobs of various shapes and sizes. These range from smaller one day projects to larger 2-3 week jobs.
3. Do you require a down payment prior to beginning?
Yes, we typically ask for a down payment ranging from 35-50% of the job price and will present a payment schedule that is acceptable to both parties.
4. Do you use a contract?
Yes. Our landscape services agreement is a standard 2 or 3 page landscape contract that is designed to protect both the client’s and our interests. You will always have time to review the contract before signing it. Our contract also provides for a 3 day right to cancel.
5. Is the company owner involved with my job or are you just sending a crew and/or subcontractors to do my job?
With Sage and Stone, the owner is always involved closely with the job. I will be onsite and working with the crew most days and am always available by phone. We do use subcontractors for certain tasks. We only use insured and experienced subs that we know and trust.
6. Do you provide free estimates and do you need to know what my budget is for my project?
Yes, we provide free estimates. As for budget issues, it is very helpful to know roughly what you are willing or able to spend. The main reasons for this are to set expectations and to avoid surprises and misunderstandings. If necessary, we can also give you phasing options for the installation.
7. Are you licensed and insured?
The state of Colorado does not require licensing for landscape contractors although a few cities do. We do carry liability and vehicle insurance to cover any possible damage to your property during installation. We carry workmans comp for our employees. By the way, in our 14 years of doing installations, we have never had to make a liability or workmans comp claim. Safety and a clean worksite are always high priorities.
8. I don’t like doing maintenance and want a low maintenance landscape. How can you ensure this?
Low maintenance is the goal for every situation. A low maintenance landscape starts with quality design and installation. Most maintenance issues revolve around plant materials and organic mulches. This includes lawn care, weeding, cleanups, and general plant care. All landscapes require some maintenance to keep looking good. There is no such thing as a maintenance-free landscape!
9. Can you install my project within a certain time frame?
Absolutely. We prefer to work on one job at a time and then move on to the next job. If for some reason there may be gaps in the installation schedule, we will let you know in advance.
10. How good of an investment is landscaping?
In general it is a very good to excellent investment that will return anywhere from 80% to well over 100% of the amount invested, depending on the project. In our opinion, the best returns come from hardscape and yard projects that compliment and extend indoor living spaces and those that add curb appeal. Of course this assumes that regular maintenance is followed!